A tale of how I, an NPC who had been extricated from the game system , attempted to assist the protagonist.




A tale of how I, an NPC who had been extricated from the game system , attempted to assist the protagonist.







Japanese Name: ゲームシステムから自由になったNPCの私が勇者様を助けようとしたお話
Author: Megû Megû
Plot : Alyssa, an NPC residing in Stock Village, has a limited role of merely announcing the village's name. Despite this, she inexplicably developed feelings and fell in love with the hero. It is said that a capricious god would visit her and grant her wish. Alyssa, desiring to aid her beloved hero, was liberated from the confines of the game system. However, she soon realized that she held a crucial role even when she believed herself to be insignificant. It was an incredibly significant role indeed.

Read Now

_____________________

A tale of how I, an NPC who had been extricated from the game system , attempted to assist the protagonist.

 


NPC=non player character
A character that cannot be controlled by the player in the game.

◇◆◇

I go by the name Alyssa, constantly stationed at the entrance of this humble village. My sole purpose is to greet newcomers with the words, "Welcome to Stock Village." As an anonymous girl from this village, my only duty is to reveal its name to the hero who arrives. Apart from that, my speech is limited.

We, non-playable characters (NPCs), inhabit a specific location within the game world and are restricted to uttering particular phrases. I'm uncertain about the reason behind my limitations, but I possess emotions, and strangely enough, I have developed feelings for the hero.

◇◆◇

Once the hero initiates a conversation with me, our interaction begins.

"Hello, this is Stock Village."

The hero asks, "Is this Stock Village? Let's quickly locate the legendary blacksmith."

The legendary blacksmith is likely Mr. Gachet, residing deep within the village. His house is situated in a complex area, which concerns me as I wonder if the hero will be able to find him. I often ponder why NPCs, except for a few, are unable to disclose their names. If the hero knew my name and called out to me, it would undoubtedly bring me joy. However, even that is a predetermined line, and expressing dissatisfaction will not alter the situation.

I hold affection for the hero, but I understand that it cannot become a reality. The chances of it occurring are nonexistent, as it has already been predetermined that the hero will marry the princess he aids. Since this world is a game, the narrative progresses according to a predetermined story, and one cannot deviate from it. Therefore, it is sufficient for me to be able to see the hero and converse with him. The union of the two of them would signify a happy ending for this world. However...

If only I could engage in conversation beyond simply revealing the village's name. If I had the freedom to move around and assist the hero on their journey, nothing would make me happier than being able to support my beloved hero. Yet, I am an NPC bound by predefined words and actions. The same applies to other NPCs.

However, one day, a whimsical god appeared within this game and approached me, initiating a conversation.


◇◆◇

"Surprisingly, as an NPC, you possess a desire. How intriguing. I shall grant your wish," said the god.

"In that case, please allow me to move freely. I want to assist Hero-sama," I replied.

According to the god's plan, I was granted the ability to transcend the confines of the game system as an NPC and gain true freedom. I could now communicate without being bound to the village. Moreover, no monster could harm me while I was outside the game system.

My sole responsibility was to reveal the name of the village. As soon as Hero-sama enters the village, floating letters above his head will inform him of its name, rendering my presence unnecessary. As a bonus, the gods provided me with a "strategy chart," a set of tasks to be accomplished by the hero. Now, I could get ahead and offer my assistance.

Upon reaching the next town, where Hero-sama was headed, I adjusted the prices of weapons and armor that were excessively expensive. This way, Hero-sama wouldn't have to battle numerous enemies to save up for protective gear. Furthermore, when venturing into dungeons, I activated a switch that summoned a magical ship, eliminating the need for risky dungeon exploration. Additionally, I took the liberty of delivering the glowing stones that the legendary blacksmith, Gachet, was supposed to request. Now, I could obtain the legendary sword by simply visiting Mr. Gachet.

By departing from the confines of the game system, I made various preparations ahead of Hero-sama. Perhaps I should even defeat the game's final boss, the Evil Dragon. No, instead, I decided to assist the princess. I encouraged the hero to do his best and strategically placed an abundance of recovery potions and powerful equipment in the last dungeon.

Everything was ready. I eagerly awaited the hero's arrival in the last dungeon, hoping that my aspirations would come true and I would be able to exchange a few words with him. However, despite my prolonged wait, the hero did not appear. Filled with curiosity, I decided to return to the village for a while.


◇◆◇

In Stock Village, there resided a courageous man. However, he seemed lost, wandering around the village entrance. Curiosity led me to consult the "strategy chart," which likely dictated the progression of the game. As I casually glanced at the next event mentioned, I couldn't help but exclaim in surprise. The words written there were:

"Ask the village girl at the entrance of Stock Village about the location of the elf forest."

What on earth!

I also had the role of triggering event occurrences, a crucial responsibility. Without this conversation, one would be unable to access the elf forest. Yet, since I had been liberated by the power of the god and had departed from the game, the conversation sequence that would typically follow the game's progress was not happening to me anymore.

Consequently, I had no knowledge of where the Elven Forest was located. Hero-sama adhered to the rules of the game system, so without me providing information about the forest, his journey would come to a halt. This meant that the game could not be completed due to a glitch. If things continued this way, the world would forever remain under the dominion of evil dragons, and neither the hero nor the princess could achieve their happily ever after.

All I desired was to support my beloved hero, so why did this predicament arise? I prayed and beseeched the capricious god. Worries consumed me, fearing that the god would not return. Yet, unexpectedly, the god reappeared.

"God, God! Please. Please restore everything!" I pleaded desperately.

The god replied, "Isn't it fine for you? True, you serve as an event occurrence flag, but once that is over, you would merely be a village girl who utters the name of the village, you know?"

"At this rate, no one will find happiness! It's my fault for clinging to a wish despite being an NPC. I am content with remaining a simple village girl. Please, restore everything to its original state!"

"I see... I am not well-versed in games either. I did not anticipate that by granting you freedom, such a situation would arise. Before the player saves in the real world, I asked my mother to turn off the power to the game console. I shall restore you, so please wait a moment."

I didn't fully comprehend the god's words, but it seemed like they intended to piece me back together. In the next instant, darkness engulfed my vision, and my consciousness faded away.

◇◆◇

Upon regaining consciousness, I found myself back at the familiar entrance of Stock Village. It appeared that I had returned to my role as the village girl tasked with stating the village's name. Everything seemed to have reverted, and all the preparations I had made beforehand were gone. And you know what? That's perfectly fine.

It was foolish of me to belittle my role as merely uttering the name of the village. As an important NPC, this event must have occurred to make me realize that. A brave man had arrived, and as he stood before me, I recited my standard line:

"Hello, this is Stock Village."

He responded, "Is this Stock Village? Let's quickly find the legendary blacksmith."

It was a typical conversation, expected to conclude with this brief exchange. However, to my surprise, the hero paused and uttered a phrase I had never heard before: "Thanks for telling me the name of the village, Alyssa."

Was this a prank by the gods, or a clever maneuver? Regardless, at that moment, I experienced an overwhelming sense of joy.

And so, the story comes to an end.

"The End"



Post a Comment

0 Comments